Lately I was working with paiting of some Florals, what is sort of unusual for me. I guess it is an influence of the spring!...
This one more painting of Pansies ( I already did them in Soft pastels not long time ago!) was a one big and total experimentation.
First of all I was curious to try Ampersand clay board. Bough it, tried it - didn't like it at all. Put it away, maybe will do something later with it. It was a 6 X 6 board.
And yes, it was pansies too, and awful ones at my opinion.
Second board was 8 x 8 and I decided to prime this one with Colourfix and try soft pastels on it. Results were just us awful, I my first try without Colourfix, with OPs.
Then I tried to do a water wash. No luck. I tried Terpentinoid Natural instead. It worked, however not on the way I expected. Pastels became something more like Gouache, what was OK with me, but it DIDN'T dry!
So much for trying with Softies!
Being stubborn and greedy I decided to safe a board and do something about it. Next idea was -go back to Oil Pastels and try if it will work. In fact it DID. Soft pastels became a good underpainting for Oils, the rest of underpainting I did partially in Neopastel and partially simply in Oil Pencils. I'm finishing it with Holbeins, using some silicon shapers and some wash with very same Terpentinoid.
This will be nothing fancy, work is very simple and I'm not going to spend weeks of my time of it, like with some others. General idea was - to try new support and some new techniques.
After all I think it paid for itself, I'm pretty happy about this one and some day will go with something bigger and more complicated of this sort.
Oh, yes, one more thing: reference photo is from my trip to local K-mart. We had no time to do anything fancy with photoshoot of spring flowers, but went around of few local stores and took some pretty decent pictures. Just an idea, but works in our busy times.
I Hope to finish this one today. At worst case of scenario - tomorrow. :)